MARIA CECILIA BRENNAND CAMPOS
Maria Cecilia Brennand Campos is a New York Based Stylist originally from Brazil. She started her career in fashion unsure of what it was exactly she wanted to do knowing however, that she had a sharp eye. Meaning she had defined from early on a clear stylistic aesthetic aware of what she loved and what looked pleasing vs. what she hated. In her view, things do not always have to be beautiful, and she finds beauty at times with something that can look wrong or even ugly in images. She studied literature, worked as an editor ( for like a second), edited copy and then decided what she loved was to be on set more, hence her decision to go into styling.
Greatest Inspirations or Influences?
- Guy Bourdin,
- Helmut Newton,
- Female power dressers,
- sick 70s makeup,
- Pop Magazine, On the Rocks Magazine
- the age of the supermodels.
- and my favorite photographer right now is Charlotte Wales.
I think they were mostly in the 20th century. Lots of women have style today but because fashion changes so much and there are so many collections, I find only a few people stick to their specific style.
- I love everything Bianca Jagger ever put on.
- I also love Ralph Lauren's aesthetic. And Yves Saint Laurent, I always wish I had known him and lived with him in Morocco back then... dreams!
Tell us about your Creative Process when you discuss a campaign with a designer.
I get the biggest kick out of creating a concept, which is why sometimes I wonder if I should be working more on creative direction than styling, I like to do a bit of both. I also cast. I think the answer is that I can give the best result in two situations.
- One: if a client doesn't know what they want but is open to guidance.
- Two: if they have an idea more or less, and we can hone in on what it needs to look like as a final product.
Moodboards are always good, that's for sure. I love a good inspiration folder or pinterest board.
HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONAL STYLE?
My style is a few things. I would ten times out of ten invest on a forever piece than buy a bunch of crap. Pantsuits are my favorite things. I really love menswear. I don't wear dresses much.
Also, ONLY high waisted pants.
I think my style is quite 70s and so is my hair...
ANY CREATIVES OR YOUNG DESIGNERS/BRANDS WE SHOULD KNOW?
- I love this brand Khaite for its pieces and its images. New in age, but quite sophisticated.
- Area NYC! They are wild and I love every single thing they do.
- I like Dorateymur shoes,
- Rejina Pyo, Keji Denim.
- Wales Bonner, she is so sensitive and refined I find.
FAVORITE WEBSITES OR INSTAGRAM HANDLES?
Oh, so many instagram handles. I only go to websites for news these days. For visual inspiration:
The list goes on and on......
What would be a dream shoot for you?
Shooting with one of the originals, so really I would need a time machine. Bourdin would be the one I think...
Cover Photo shot by Pedro Koechlin