UPPER CUT STANISLAVA ILIEVA
Stanislava Ilieva is a designer and creative who has been in fashion almost all her life. She began styling music videos as a teenager and began her career in modelling at 17. She realized soon after her calling was to create clothes and she went to Fashion School in order to pursue this passion. She is currently based in Dubai and recently launched her collection UPPER CUT that is heavily inspired by boxing and other sports.
Stanislava what are your greatest inspirations or influences?
I can't keep calm because I am from the balkans!
Born in an ex communist country, all I wanted to do after leaving home was to travel and get inspired by different cultures. Their street life has now translated into high- end street wear which is the essence of my brand UPPER CUT.
For the brand name, identity and designs I was influenced by boxing. Sports is a major influence in my work and life. I was a gymnast for 7 years, practiced boxing for two, my mother is a coach and my father an ex volleyball player. That's why my aim is to make the sporty look more interesting and more wearable. Even an evening piece should have an element of sport, wether its a topstitch or a cut.
How would you describe your style?
I would describe my style as clean minimalism and alway focused on the creative pattern. I must always aim the right cut, I mean upper- cut...the name says it all.
It’s easy to make streetwear, but to implement sportswear into something sleek and call it high-end ... well that's the challenge. For that I often use satin, crepe, georgette...but I also love to work with jersey fabrics, and love playing with transparency + layering.
- www.balanciaga.com for trend setting, branding imaging and marketing strategies
- @houseofmalakai - a bespoke fashion jeweler for design and creativity
- @dana.hoursni a local stylist and fashion influencer for the retro touch in modern outfits
Challenges of starting up in the fashion industry
There are three questions I always revert back to-
- Am I actually able to satisfy the local market or just fashion engaged expats?
- How to reach the young open-minded crowd in UAE?
- Do I follow the direction I believe in or do I compromise my ideas to suit the market here?