PINK SWAN PROJECT
This October showroom SUITE New York will launch The Pink Swan Project to benefit The Breast Cancer Research Foundation. Nineteen leading interior designers, architects and fashion icons will customize the iconic Fritz Hansen Swan Chair designed by Arne Jacobsen. A weekly rotation of the Swan Chairs will be on display at the Gagosian Shop on Madison Avenue and will be auctioned on the Charitybuzz website. The online auction will run October 1st - October 31st, 2011 and best part is that 80% of each sale will go directly to BCRF.
- Alexandra Von Furstenberg, Campion Platt, Chris Kraig,
- David Mann, D.B. Kim of PYR for Swarovski, Holly Fulton for Swarovski,
- Jamie Drake, Jonathan Adler, Julie Hillman, Karim Rashid, Kelly Hoppen,
- Madeline Weinrib, Margherita Maccapani Missoni, Milly De Cabrol,
- Nate Berkus, Simon Doonan, Vicente Wolf, Victoria Hagan and Windsor Smith have all donated their extraordinary talents to each design a one-of-kind Swan Chair for the project.
“While thinking about designing this chair, I mainly thought of two words: ‘pink swan’- and I actually think that it turned out looking very much like a pink swan- a little conceptual, but still a pink swan: the fabric, the feathers and their placement were all chosen with that in mind.”-Margherita Maccapani Missoni
“Color is life. For me it is a way of dealing with and touching our emotions, psyche, and spiritual being. That is why I am thrilled to be a part of the Pink Swan Project. The inspiration for my Swan chair was an attempt to honor those affected by breast cancer, by expressing their vitality and spirit through design. Pink is optimistic, energetic, fulgent, engaging, and a moxie to the masculine world that dominates our built landscape. I know that if I can do one small thing to contribute towards the cure then I can feel proud.”- Karim Rashid