LOST PROPERTY LONDON
Lost Property of London is an independent accessories brand formed by Central Saint Martins graduate, Katy Bell. Handcrafted in London, the collection incorporates second-hand fabrics by discerningly transforming them into beautiful yet practical totes and chic travel bags. With the simple wish of extending the life expectancy of the everyday material she finds around her, together with a love for natural finishes and handmade techniques, Katy has created a range of iconic and surprising pieces that look and feel just as unique, and different as the next.
Each season, the collection will employ a new theme or textile, with the Spring/Summer 2012 collection featuring some of London’s finest. Courtesy of London’s top roasting houses, each bag has been made from original South American jute coffee sacks, complemented with sumptuous leather – making them the perfect rough-luxe accessory. Having been given the ‘royal’ stamp of approval from the judges at their Best of British open day, Lost Property of London proved so popular at Liberty that the two formed a collaboration to produce a limited collection using Liberty’s infamous art fabrics.
Creative director and founder, Katy Bell, has had a fascination and eye for rescuing abandoned fabrics for many years. This love for making new from old was the conceptual underpinning that inspired her to launch Lost Property of London.
Greatest inspirations or influences?
- Contradictions within design, architecture. Rough-luxe.
- When everything gets a little too regurgitated I head back to the country or stare at the sea for a while.
- I am also very lucky to have a heap of independent and hardworking people around me.
- It's got to be Audrey H back in the day
- but current obsession in Poppy Delevigne - both effortlessly elegant.
Favorite websites, blogs, publications?
- Cool Hunter..- dangerous too many hours spent on here!
- designsponge..- Ace decorating ideas.
- facehunter...Good for inspiration when deciding what to wear everyday get's a bit boring.
- www.monocle.com/ I love a good magazine, in fact some would say I have a bit of a problem.
What would be an ideal collaboration or project to work on? Loved our collaboration with Liberty! So another iconic brand would be be top of the list.
Up and coming creatives we should know about?
- Zoe Hutchison - http://www.theportmangallery.com/product/52/observing/
My closest and most talented artist buddy. Her work is being snapped up fast so better be quick!
- Also have you heard of RF London's secret parties yet?
Not to be missed!
Anything else youd like to share with our audience? Yes our new SS12 collection! Currently showcasing at London Fashion Week and Premiere Classe Paris this September.