CHRIS MOORE INTERVIEW
Chris Moore grew up a skateboarder in Colorado and always thought this is what he´d do. In the early to mid '90s that was pretty tough being from Denver one had to live in California to make that happen. Skateboard magazines and his dad´s Canon F-1 really inspired him to start making pictures. Chris began taking photos of his friends skateboarding but in school he began to broaden the subject matter and got into the technical side in regard to film processing and printing. These days Chris is more interested on portraits , landscapes and on the actual subculture of skateboarding.
Greatest inspirations or influences
- skateboarding, ray barbee, natas kaupas, mark gonzales, ed templeton,
- girl skateboards, spike jonze...alec soth, william eggleston, patricia alpizar,
- jim goldberg, tim barber, ari marcopoulos, michael leon, craig stecyk,
- evan hecox, geoff mcfetridge... j.mascis, dinosaur jr., broken social scene,
- otis redding...denver, venice, mexico city, fuentes brotantes
- friends and friendly people
Most memorable shoot so far?
-I shot on the set of a music video in this town or place called Bermite...an old abandoned military base...it was this disturbing clown short/music video.....everything about it was super creepy.....creepy yet fun...
Most interesting response to your work so far
- Probably when I started getting emails from people all over the world admiring some work and finding out a certain record label stole it and released it without contacting or paying me.....that was interesting...
How does LA inspire your work?
- the weather, the people (especially the non-pretentious people), it's the home of skateboarding,
- the pacific ocean, being able to ride my bike by the beach year round, diversity, galleries, book stores, the list could go on and on.....
Favorite websites, blogs, publications
- crailtap.com, blind spot, arkitip, juxtapoz,
- pitchfork, monster children, mumble, low budget zines
- all the skateboard magazines
Anything else youd like to share with our audience?
-go make something.....doesn't matter what it is.....it's fun.....and it makes you feel good.....