MARTINE LANGATTA INTERVIEW
Martine Langatta was born and raised between Manhattan and East Hampton, New York. A proud descendent of a artistic family, Martine has embraced the La Vita dolce lifestyle that her father, Gianfranco Langatta, was well-known for and put into his painting, welding and interior design. Throughout her childhood Martine traveled the world, with extended stays from Rome to Toyko, where her mother Pamela Margonelli was doing design and color work. With access to so many contrasting cultures at such a young age, Martine took to painting and photography at the age of ten as a way to communicate her distinctive view of the world.
Martine furthered her art education at the Fashion Institute of Technology and the Stella Adler Studio of Acting both in Manhattan. Shortly after finishing her education, Martine began to pursue her acting career and landed a leading role in the feature film Eyes Find Eyes, which was released throughout theaters in Paris. Since then she was also featured in the HBO series the THE NEISTAT BROTHERS, as well as working in and on many other independent film projects.
Martine continues to draw inspiration from around the world and splits her time between New York and Eastern Long Island . She is currently focusing on her painting, which are large scale abstracts and new series of animals.But even though it seems Martine has already accomplished so much, she’s just getting started – she has plans to start a feminine clothing line, create a photography book and of course continue her acting and painting.
Greatest inspirations or influences?
- The greatest inspiration in my life has been my family, especially my father he was a painter and a man of the world. He was an artist in every sense of the word, he made me a strong chick and I bring him with me in every project I encounter.
- My brother Salim has also definitely contributed for my love of creation, his photographs are so beautiful , and some of the best I have ever seen , (and im not just saying that because he is family).
- My first inspirations as a child were Degas, Toulouse Lautrec, Picasso and Man Ray, these days I am really in to William Egglestons photographs.
- I am really just mostly influenced and inspired by people who are making things and who are passionate , people who follow their dreams and are free of worrying that they may be judged , and who take chances.
Most interesting projects you've worked on so far?
- I have had some pretty cool opportunities in the area of film. About a year ago i got to be a leading actress in a film called Eyes find Eyes. this experience was incredible , to be working with a team and be around all the film equipment , it was so fun and completely different than painting or photography which is a more personal experience.
- Also a couple years ago I helped with set design on a major feature film called Holy Rollers. this was a huge production and was so beyond interesting to see how everything functioned, I definitely learned a lot.
Most interesting response to your work?
- Once a younger kid ask me if I'd be his mentor because he loved my painting so much, I don't think I have ever been more flattered.
- Also my friend told me his father went to see Eyes find Eyes in Paris and thought Iwas the best actress he has ever seen ! to me thats super cool. I also like when people look at my work especially my abstract paintings and are kind of perplexed, I take it as a compliment just like JD salinger said " say something no one understands , and then all the sudden everyone is interested".
Favorite websites, blogs, publications?
- billynava.com ,stevenkleinstudio.com, egglestontrust.com , tinyvices.com , thearabparrot.com ,arturostanig.com, superextrafantasticblog.com, abbylloyd.com, martinefabianalangatta.blogspot.com ,nytimes.com , whatreallyhappened.com,-visionaire magazine , purple magazine, vogue paris, shot magazine.
Anything else you'd like to share with our audience?
ALWAYS FOLLOW YOUR HEART. THIS IS YOUR LIFE MAKE IT A FULL ONE. BE OPEN AND WILLING TO TRY THINGS. AND LET YOUR SELF FALL IN LOVE EVEN IF IT BREAKS YOUR HEART!