KARIN BAR INTERVIEW
Bar Rafaeli at 18
Photographer Karin Bar began to learn the art of photography when she was 12 years old. Since 2002 she has been working in Tel Aviv as an artist and fashion photographer.
Greatest Inspirations or Influences?
- Words Inspire me the most , poetry & music give me so much to play with in my mind,
- In the Visual aspect I’m a big fan of Helmut Newton´s language of photography and Nan Goldin´s vision.
Most interesting response to your work so far?
Three photographs from my first solo exhibition were bought by a collector and were stolen from his house with his money & jewelry .I was so shocked that the robber thought my works where worth a lot and took the time to steal them, it was flattering to be appreciated.
Most Memorable Shoot?
One of my most recent ones was TeenAge WasteLand for Elinor Shahar Personal Management -a photo-shoot with 20 models and having to document 20 beautiful people as a street gang was the best time Ive had and a great closure to my own teenage years .
- I’m addicted to “because I'm addicted” blog, NOWNESS & Mr. Porter
- Also there is an Israeli blog I really like called “I love Josh” which is pretty awesome
- Also there in an Israeli online interactive magazine named ZOOZ which I contribute to and I love how it let’s me push my boundaries as a photographer and an artist as well.
Anything else you’d like to share with our audience?
At 12 I wanted to be a war photographer , and since I'm from Israel it wasn’t far from my reality but when I grew up I realized I was too much of a girl to do that . I did end up shooting a war on a film set and one off my favorite picture is from that on- set war. I try to take my experience on film sets to my fashion work and act like any moment can be the moment and to know how to capture it and not create it.