Lara Zankoul Photography
I am so impressed with the talent of 23 year old, Lara Zankoul, a Lebanese self-taught photographer who divides her life between economic studies and passion for artistic photography. Practicing this art is a kind of escape from reality for her. Her pictures are characterized by a fairy atmosphere, surreal compositions and a desire to reach an imaginary and aesthetic world.
Greatest inspirations or influences?
Inspired from classical tales and childhood memories, I try through photography to give a new vision of the world by recreating the harmony of what I see. I am influenced by surreal art from Magritte, Dali, to Tim Walker and Tim Burton.
Upcoming shows, exhibitions?
My first exhibition untitled Synopsis is taking place at Roof 68 in Beirut from the 17th of June till the 1st July. I am also planning a solo and collective exhibition in Paris hopefully this year.
Most memorable shoot to date?
My most memorable shoots are usually the most challenging ones. The most memorable of all shoots to date, involved placing a bed in the sea and required a lot of planning and mental and physical effort, knowing that I did everything from A to Z. I had the disassemble the bed, fit in my car, take it to the sea and assemble it there. Not very practical but it was a nice and funny adventure, and most importantly it was a fruitful photo session.
I love following photo, fashion and illustration blogs, they're fun -
- ( One of my favorites is this fashion french blog http://c00kies-est-une-cuillere-a-absinthe.blogspot.com/
- and this photo blog:http://weliveyoung.blogspot.com/).
- And I have to mention the photography blog I share with 3 other photographers, that you must see!: http://through-our-lenses.blogspot.com/
As for websites, my favorite websites are online photo sharing platforms like flickr, deviant art, red bubble, etc..I spend a lot of time there
Other favorite artists you admire?
- I love Brooke Shaden's fine art photography, the work and thoughts she put into every photo is impressive.
- I also admire many photographers of which Robert and Shana ParkeHarrison, Monika Stojac, Lara Jade, Nirrimi Hakanson, etc.
Anything else you'd like to share with our audience?
I'd like to say that photography changed my life to the better first, by making me happier, more self satisfied and it opened many opportunities (never thought Id have an exhibition one day but it is happening right now!). Follow your passion; and it might take you to places.