Marina Girardi Art & Soap
I am amazed by how much incredible creative talent there is here in Beirut. It feels like everyone I meet has an artistic side that few people are aware of. Marina Girardi, for example, is a co-founder of a soap business (I highly suggest you check out her site as these make lovely gifts)based in Aleppo, Syria which is home to an ancient soap industry that has enjoyed a renaissance since the government recently lifted trade bands. She is also however, an incredible artist who has yet to exhibit her fantastic work.
Greatest inspirations or influences?
I travel alot and love discovering new countries. Every time I travel I make sure to visit art galleries and historical sites so that it helps with the ideas and the motivation for creating different techniques. Favorite art galleries around the world?
- Saatchi gallery (London)
- Dali exhibtion in St Tropez
- art thema gallery (Brussels)
Planing to do an art exhibition in either London or Beirut in 10 months time.
Most interesting response to your work so far?
Everyone loves the collages, so far there has been a lot of interest to buy, but I have refused to sell them.
What will be the theme of your upcoming art exhibition?
It will be mainly naked figures of women, horses, fish with arabic newspapers
How do you feel your Middle Eastern routes have influenced you in your art?
- I love Arabic caligraphy which I've only done once in my paintings
- warm colors of blue for me is the sea color of the Mediterranean
- horses because of the beautiful Arabic horses we have in the region
- my teachers Namat and Bachir Badawi , and Zouheir Dabaghwho taught me the fundamentals of art
Anything else youd like to share with us?
My favorite quotes are:
- Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.
- I paint objects as I think of them, not as I see them.
- Action is the foundational key to all success.