Electronic In Malaysia
Hebbo has been dj'ing since he was 20 - in a region he calls " nowhereland" between Shah Alam and Kuala Lumpur . He began playing at underground after-parties around town with the likes of Raysoo, and Tootekool at Cloth & Clef, Le Blanc, & Warehouse (Kuala Lumpur) - twisting ethereal house grooves into dubby techno sounds minimally themed.
Richie Hawtin. He is a living legend for being the great Pioneer of Electronic Music.
- Ricardo Villalobos: There's no other DJ making massive crowds dance to such defiantly strange house and techno music. Who else would play heartbreaking folk songs from Chile in the middle of his sets? Cool.
- Richie Hawtin: push things forward in the manner that the Minus head has done, let alone ones that have been in the game for as long as he has. Respect.
- Luciano: effortlessly takes in the floppy funk of his Cadenza label.
- Sven Väth: Namely, bringing underground sounds to the masses in an entertaining and convincing way. That Väth is well over 40 and still remains dedicated to blowing up the newest trends is good news for any up-and-coming producer who still wants to make it in the music biz. Respect, as they say, is due.
- Magda: along with Minus label head Richie Hawtin, she continued to spread the gospel of minimal techno to the world with her own style, period.
- Loco Dice: hip-hop background is crucial to his appeal behind the decks, unlike many of his fellow DJs, you can feel his personality push through in the percussive rhythms that he likes so much.
- Raresh: In any case, by the time you've got into his disc, or maybe that's the one you started with, things have taken a dive into a more liquid world. He's really good.
Favorite tracks ?
- Koljah & Oliver Deutschmann - Eaten Back To Life [Konsequenz]
- La Peña - Keep Movin [La Peña] A solid mix of rough-and-ready New York house with a dash of deep house atmospherics, the duo's releases came along at just the right moment.
- Seth Troxler - Aphrika EP [Wolf + Lamb] Love both tunes but the A-Side of this one is just Nasty. I suggest the wolf & lamb thing to be a real dancefloor killer, looking forward to play the tracks!. Sexy, full of attitude! Seth is an unstoppable force!
- 2000 And One - Wan Poku Moro [CDR] Pure funky shit. Abolutely fat house groove combined with some detroitish chords and nice samples all packed in a minimalistic way.
- Federleicht - On The Street (SIS Remix) SIS's greatest work so far has mined that idea—the epic tease—to great ends and, while this is a much more refined affair than his previous euphoric moments for Sei Es Drum and Cécille, it still works excellently. In 2008, he sounded like Samim. Here, he sounds like Efdemin.
Electronic Music in Asia?
I would like to support the Asian electronic music scene and help the local promoters and djs to focus on this great mind-broadening music style. It is rapidly developing although it started rather late compared to States. It is rare to find an audience that listens to Electronic music outside of nightclubs or "hip" clothing stores. Rock, pop, and hip-hop are still the defacto standard. Hopefully this is changing and fast.
Anything else you'd like to share?