Hoda Fadel on Burning Man
Hoda Fadel was born in 1982 in a small village in south Lebanon. Throughout her childhood she had been attracted equally to the artist's pencil as to the astronaut kit. She has been exploring the artist in her but the dream to dive into space has been put on hold until further notice. She has ventured into work in so many fields including: fashion retail, modeling, tv hosting..etc..and the more roles she takes on, the more she grows since each experience has rewarded her in so many ways. After studying architecture she began to experiment with canvas and has exhibited her artwork Lebanon, San Francisco, Oakland and Sausalito.
- Burning man for me is the non-identification with any of the roles we play in the default world, it's the transcendence to another dimension of living and being.
- The very principles of burning man which are based on gifting, self-reliance, living off-grid, self expression, communal effort, no-cash, leaving no trace, sharing and participation make this place ideal for self transformation.
- a playground where you go back to childhood, which opens up your heart to every possible connection with the others, quiets your mind, peels out your layers that you spent your whole life building up, drops down your masks and limitations, and makes you wanna share yourself with no sense of embarrassment or pretense, with the quality of playful innocence until you become weightless and freer and your intangible beauty radiates.
- As a dear friend once said to me after my first burn: Pick any one of your modeling shots back home and compare it to any random photo of you on the playa and this will become self-evident.
- What's so inspiring about playa dust, art cars, lights, fires, tribe dancers, creative costumes, endless music, free hugs and spontaneous gestures of love is the sacred human expression that reflects everywhere you go ..
- Being in harmony with more than 50000 people that are there for the same reason where everybody is doing something amazing for its own sake, where there's no judgment, where there's tremendous appreciation and gratitude for any human expression, cracks open your shell and delivers you to an endless inspiration and creativity.. so much can be said about this magical place...
- This place has added new insights, new visions, new truths to my life which expanded my consciousness, awareness and intuition and became the basis of both my artistic path and spiritual journey. I started getting inspiration everywhere in my daily life, especially in the least expected time and place.
- I'll be preparing an art project for playa next year, "the rites of passage" what an immense theme to work on. I'm giddy with excitement! can't wait to make that happen.