London-based Designer Fuses Modern Urban Style with British Tailoring
The son of legendary South Asian designer Mani Kohli of Khubsoorat Collection, Saran has been involved in the fashion world since a very young age. In 2008, he received his B.A (Hons) Graduate from London College of Fashion in Fashion Management and was quickly tapped by Japanese designer Michiko Koshino as a PR/Marketing assistant. Hugo Boss came next as he was headhunted for a position in sales and later promoted to Hugo Boss Red/ Black Collection Analyst.
Saran is also a well-respected dance choreographer and performer who formed the dance group “Snach” at the age of 17. Since then, Snach has been commissioned to perform all over the UK as well as in New York City and India, working with a number of well-respected musicians and featured in their music videos. Today, the designer continues his involvement with Snach choosing to work with the youth to promote urban dance culture.
The Saran Kohli Collection gathers inspiration from all aspects of the young designer’s life from music, to dance and his extensive global travels. The line is geared towards the man who prefers a distinctive, more personalized style that blends elements of global culture and music while remaining true to the principles of traditional English tailoring and cut.
Greatest inspirations or influences?
- Since an early age, my main interest has always been the performing arts. So my collections are designed for what I imagine to be the ideal clothing for the stage or big screen.
- Traveling and understanding "global style"
- GQ, Wallpaper, Dazed & Confused.
- The Sartorialist blog and for shopping I am a regular user of asos.com -it has a very good mix of high street and carefully selected designers.
What your most looking fwd to about fashion week?
I will be missing NY Fashion Week but I was really looking forward to seeing Richie Rich, Y-3, General-idea.
Why do you think so many international designers choose to present their collections in NY rather than anywhere else?
- It is a city of dreams and my every visit leaves me stunned at the beautiful cityscapes.
- For fashion it has an unlimited offering with influences from all over the world .
- There are many cross-culture projects going on which is vital to gain a new perspective of fashion and sense of style.
Fashion icons in your opinion?
- Michiko Koshino from Japan,
- Rick Owens, Mani Kohli,
- from India Narendra Prassad and Rajesh Pratap Singh.
Any artists, designers, etc you think we should know about
- Kazz Kumar who is a huge emerging singer and a fashionista getting support from well respected designers.
- Nasima Ahmed who is a an up and coming stylist doing ground breaking work!.
- Also not forgetting the guys, mumzy Stranger who is also widely popular singer and getting bigger day day-by-day!.
Anything else you'd like to share with our audience?
Lookout for my new work and the online store launching end 2010. You can follow me on twitter.com/sarankohli or visit www.sarankohli.com
Also look out for the collection in the upcoming British action flick London Town (working title) directed by Michael De’Sioye, and set for release in summer 2011.