Anita Ben launched her label ‘ANU’, (her childhood nickname) in Australia during the Summer of 2007, and ever since, the label has regularly been touted as the new shining light of Australian design. Anita began her career working as fashion & accessories buyer for Sydneys’ leading life style store, Orson & Blake . After 4 years as a buyer she started her own fashion agency in 2002 showcasing some of Australian premium labels. Since starting ANU, the brand is now stock in more than 40 of the best boutiques around Australia and specialty boutiques in the United States and Latin America. Highlight for her so far was that the S/S 10 collection has been picked up by leading department store in Australia, David Jones.
Greatest inspirations or influences?
- The person who has influenced me the most is my dad who is a bespoke dress -maker. When I was growing up, I spent a lot of my time playing in his workshop watching him work - while he was creating beautiful one-of a kind dresses for his clients.
- My Indian background also influences my designs: the label is a mix of contemporary with a touch of indian aesthetic - I have a huge collection of vintage scarves and they are a great source of inspiration for prints and colours in my collections & Travel of course
Who is the person they have in mind that they design for?
- - The ANU woman is confident, intelligent and elegant.
- - she wants to always feel feminine and glamourous, whether it's brunch or a cocktail party
- - She is timeless............ANU is for a woman of any age
Bianca Jagger, Jacqueline Kennedy, Faye Dunaway
- - Style Me Romy
- - Garance Dore
- - The Sartorialist
- - Instyle
Other cool brands or designers from Australia we should know about?
- Dion Lee - Therese Rawsthorne - Christopher Esber