Photo Sentony Kay Gomes
Virginia Villari was born in Rome but lives and works in New York as an independent art curator and event planner. She studied art history in Rome and has a masters in Museum Studies from the City College of New York. She currently has a radio program about contemporary art for the radio station of the Italian news paper "America Oggi", published both in Italy and in the US, and is associate art curator for the LLC Contaminate NYC. She also practices Muai Thai and pole dancing at an advanced level. She recently got married in a "Tarantino " themed wedding on a Brooklyn rooftop, and her friend Seanna designed the unique black ensemble. Virginia is curating Seanna's art show An Octopus of My Own, at Contesta which begins today with a special performance. Greatest Inspirations?
French Decadentism, Charles Baudelaire, Madonna, Cindy Lauper, The Gunnies, Peggy Guggenheim, Berlin Cabaret, Dracula, Quentin Tarantino, Tomb Rider, Giovanna D'Arco, Surrealism, Dadaism, Burlesque, Marie Antoinette, Juliette Lewis, Punk, Wu Tang Clan, Cindy Sherman, Rebecca Horn, Andy Warhol, Studio 54.... and so many more.....
What would be a dream project for you?
To curate a project that would involve and connect artists from all over the world, an art journey made of different media site-specific installations/situations. Fashion Icons?
- Vivienne Westwood: original, innovative, alternative, brilliant, her style revolutionized the idea of fashion.
- John Galliano: his desings are pure art, beautiful sculpures.
- Helmut Newton: capture the artistic essence of fashion and the beauty of the female body.
- Madonna: always a precursor and innovator, the quintessence of the trend setter.
- Lady Gaga: so stylish!!!!
Best Pole Dancing in New York ( for classes)? I totally recommend "Body and Pole", a pole dancing studio that offers different class levels and workouts, from beginners to advanced, from body strenght to choreography. Instructors are super nice and very professional. You will learn fast, you'll get in great shape and you'll have a lot of fun!
Favorite Dj's /Producers?
- Ricardo Villalobos, Luciano, Timo Maas, Nico Jaar, Seth Troxler,
- Le Loup, Miss Kittin, Apparat, Duft Punk, Aphex Twin, Ellen Allien.
- Resident Advisor, answers.com, artslant.com, deitchproject.com,
- repubblica.it, imdb.com, movies-links.tv,jujumechanix.com.
Anything else you'd like to share?
I have been practicing Japanese Buddhism (Nam-myo-ho-renge-kyo) for almost 4 years, which has been helping me to open myself to life and to welcome challenges. It has also helped me become more compassionate, brave, self confident and wiser. It is really a human revolution that I like to share with as many people as possible.