After four years on the fashion desk at The Daily Telegraph, Malika Dalamal started freelancing for publications including Harpers Bazaar, Elle, L’Officiel, The Daily Mail and Zagat Review. She has been a London editor of DailyCandy, ( an insider's guide to what's hot, new and undiscovered- from style and culture to travel and gadgets,) for nearly two years where she scours the city to find the latest and greatest in food, fashion and fun including shop and exhibition openings, graffiti classes, aura readers, and fun new ways to exercise.
Favorite websites? There are so many :
- www.dailycandy.com – the new website now includes neighbourhood guides, picture galleries as well as user comments.
- www.dontevenreply.com – Crazy e-mail conversations. This site is hilarious.
- and the weird news section on telegraph.co.uk. (www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/)
Favorite music? Currently listening to Vinyl Disciples, Lazy Dog, Michael Jackson, Miike Snow, Kings of Leon and feel good 80s tracks.
Favorite shopping venues around the world?
- Portobello Market - I live around the corner. It’s the best way to spend a Saturday morning.
- Topshop – The London flagship gets a bit hectic (live music, screaming teenagers) but it’s worth it.
- Maje in Paris – Love everything in here.
- Barneys in New York – the only department store in New York I don’t get lost in.
- Confiserie Sprungli in Zurich – the best chocolates in the world
- S*uce in Dubai –A breath of fresh air in Dubai
- Santa Maria Novella – tiny antiquated perfume shop that sells really unusual perfumes, soaps and creams in beautiful bottles that you never want to throw away
Favorite holiday destinations?
- Mykonos – amazing beaches especially Agios Sostis which is really peaceful and remote.
- Anywhere in Italy for the food
- Hong Kong – I find it even more chaotic than New York because I don’t understand what anyone is saying.
Up and coming artists, designers, photographers we should look out for?
- Nicholas King (http://nicholasking.myshopify.com/) – Love his jewellery. He uses gold-coloured rope and wicker, diamante clusters and other unusual materials — all inlaid in chunky resin.
- Bombas & Parr are food architects who put on really bizarre but very cool events in London like the scratch and sniff cinema or the breathable cocktail bar where you inhale the drinks.
- Alexandra Diez de Rivera (The Alternative Portrait Project) is a photographer based in Shanghai who takes amazing portraits tailored to your personality and lifestyle. She takes multiple photos and uses photoshop to create really surreal images.
3 things you can live without? Coffee, Spell check, High heels.
Dream dinner guest would be? It depends on my mood but right now it would have to be John Cleese, Ricky Gervais and the drunk waiter from the Peter Sellers’s movie The Party.
Anything else youd like to share...
Sign up to for your free daily newsletter at www.dailycandy.com/london