Karolyn Andrieu is a graphic designer working and living in Paris. She studied graphic design for 4 years then began freelancing on mostly small websites. Her talent was quickly recognized and was hired at Condé Nast Paris as the Art director of Vogue.fr. and menstyle.fr. and has done other incredible promotional webdesign for Chanel and Burberry.
Dream project would be? To be an illustrator full time. I love being a webdesigner but I'd rather do something more personal and creative.
Your greatest inspirations or influences? My family and friends, my cat, David Lynch, David Cronenberg, Wes Anderson, Gus Van Sant, Nirvana, Radiohead, Roisin Murphy, Beck, Martin Margiela, Nicolas Guesquière, Matthew Barney, Laura Laine, Tina Berning, Ryan McGinley, Erlend Oye,... Actually so many different people in cinema, music, art and fashion.
I love :
- Michael Gillette, James Jean, Charles Burns & Daniel Clowes, Simon Henwood. Also French artist Sophie Calle ( yes the one who got dumped in an email we profiled recently).
- All artists who have a really personnal style.
Dream dinner guest would be? Kurt Cobain. His music and just who he was influenced me so much when I was young, I guess I would have a lot to say to him.
Challenges of what you do? Being satisfied with what I do. When I finish an illustration, it's rare for me to like it... I always hope the next one will be better.
3 things you cant live without? Drawing, sleeping, eating chocolate.
Favorite city in the world? Actually there are 3:
- Paris, because I live and work here. It's a city where I can never get bored.
- Trakovice, Slovakia, a small village where my mother comes from. When I'm there all the stress is out and everything is simple.
- And finally London, I've only been there only a few times but I love all I see there, the people, the streets, the shops, the looks... I wish I could live there in a few years.