Malini Murjani's handbags and luxurious accessories have been featured in Vogue, Harpers, W and WWD. Each piece in her collection evokes a unique sense of cultured individuality. Designing accessories is her passion and for over five years now, Malini has integrated her love for art, music and travel to create her own unique luxury brand. She is the daughter of a fashion visionary responsible for several successful international fashion brands, and was raised a in London and Switzerland before moving to New York in 1990, where she attended FIT. Since founding her company Malini has traveled the world gathering inspiration and the finest materials to create a collection that not only reflects international style, but that generates new trends as well. I couldn't wait to see her new collection and although I always have a hard time picking a favorite, the Oyster collection really rocks.
How does NYC inspire you?
NYC generates innovation, it allows us to express ourselves freely with little or no judgment and is basically one big concept store scattered throughout five boroughs. This city defined an era of social change with the days of Studio 54 and Andy Warhol that was exported to Paris and beyond.
- Challenges of starting your own brand?
- Having to wear several hats and multi task in terms of design, sales, production and accounting.
- Being persistent and believing in yourself and your work.
- Finding the right people to advise and represent you and your brand. It is crucial that you always trust your own judgment.
Designers you love and why?
- Karl Lagerfeld- He is more than just a designer, he is a fashion icon. Karl Lagerfeld has not limited himself to just design, he affects fashion in so many other ways through photography, film and art.
- Thomas Maier -as creative director of Bottega Veneta. His line reflects my personal style in clothing, as it is effortless, comfortable, timeless, worldly and provocative at the same time. His clothes allow you to accessorize and dress it up to give it your own finishing touch which sets it apart from anything else.
- Oscar de la Renta-I love season after season, the clothes are always feminine but comfortable.
Favorite stores in NYC?
- Kirna Zabete- it has a limited buy of each designer-'the best of '
- Blanchet Flowers- Stunning floral arrangements
- Nancy Koltes- Tiny home store with everything from pillows to side tables to cashmere nightgowns
What are your plans for the future?
I launched my E commerce site last week which has been great so far as well as introduced a bespoke collection of evening bags which are hand crafted in London. I always want my customer to feel like she has something unique and special. What are some of your career highlights so far?
More than being represented by luxury department stores, the greatest feeling is still walking down the street and seeing someone carry one of my designs
Favorite restaurants ?
- Dell Anima- great Italian food in the west village
- PJ Clarkes- best burgers/comfort food
- Balthazar- love the brunch- always great ambience
- Spotted Pig- where I met my husband!