LEILA ANTAKLY INTERVIEW
photo by Sam Bassett 2008
Leila Antakly is the Founder & Editor of Ninu Nina which she started as a blogzine in order to promote the work and creativity of her talented and creative friends. Many people ask her what is Ninu Nina, and what does it mean? So here it goes:
Ninu Nina is a silly word my sister Manuela invented that sounds very much like " nanu nanu" from the show Mork & Mindy I grew up watching. It makes me smile to see people sound silly when they pronounce it.
What do you want to do with this blog?
Just share the work of the creative people I meet from all over the world and to be a resource of information. Blogs are an interesting form of communication. I find it super irritating when people use it too much to promote themselves, and find that type of content super boring. I like to see variety when it comes to digital communication and awesome visuals.
I struggle so much answering this questions because I love all kinds of music.
- Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky, Hooverphonic, Thievery Corporation,
- Radiohead, The Cure, U2, Depeche Mode, Beastie Boys, The Killers,
- Jamiroquai, Guns N Roses, Janes Addiction, Nirvana, Madonna,
- Spanish music from the 80's,
- lots of DJ's such as Format B, Matthew Dear, Bookashade, M. A.N.D.Y, Magda, Carola and Locodice.
Favorite Fashion Brands?
- Missoni, Zadig & Voltaire, Alberta Ferretti
- Bottega Veneta, Marchesa
- Proenza Schouler
- and the brands that my friends have created
- Fiorucci, Corso Como 10, Colette
- in London Top Shop, Dover St Market, Harvey Nichols
- NY: Urban Outfitters, Intermix, and all the stores in nolita
- Piaff, and Kitsch in Beirut
- Sluiz in Ibiza
Favorite Restaurants in NY?
- Woo Lae Oak -
- Il Buco, Little Owl, Commerce
- Mercadito Grove- fun place and great Mexican
- Illili-super cool Lebanese
Best Music Videos?
- Closer by Nine Inch Nails
- Windowlicker Aphex Twin
- Bjork's All is Full of Love
- All the videos by Floria Sigismondi
Favorite Film Directors?
- I like so many ( Tarantino, Almodovar, Aronofsky and Danny Boyle to name a few), and Fellini who is a great.
Who are the most stylish girls in New York?
I think all my friends have amazing style and unique ways of expressing themselves. New Yorkers have amazing individual style, this city is just an endless runway.
- Im going to be so unoriginal with my answer but I just really love Kate Moss's style
- My mother in the 70's and 80's
- Jane March in the film "The Lover"
- Talitha Getty, Bianca Jagger, Sofia Loren always and my friend Jose Buera
- There are a gazillion amazing blogs out there on every subject possible that are incredibly designed. Some of my favorite are listed on ninunina.com. Its so hard to keep up though.
- Two that I just love besides facebook are urbandaddy.com and notcot.org which I check a few times a day.
- Psychedelic visions are my reality- Lennon
- Be the change you want to see in the world- Gandhi
- Love is not to look at one another but look together in the same direction- Antoine de Saint Exupéry